Tuesday, July 1, 2008

To the Beach

Saturday June 28, 2008

Investors in the Market Place of Ideas have chosen a Market Square style development program. Discussion (somewhat heated at times) of what could be sold and purchased to benefit the children the school and the community of La Democracia. Cards, drums, services, soap, fruits- what can our students do here, and how can that work educate them in regard to global climate change and help them develop partnerships with our host community? When we take the exercise seriously, we want to follow through with it!

I dedicate today’s notes to Aaron, who was unable to join the dinner group due to a close encounter with exotic local bacteria. Hope he’s back in jovial, energetic shape tomorrow!

For me, a little guilt sinks in again as another opportunity to phone home passes by in Belmopan.

Wildlife report for the day: 1 black and white feral market cat, many dogs, a pelican, several small and dull fish as viewed underwater through a mask, near my too-white toes. I’m sure the rest of the snorkel masters have a good list of fish species noted during the afternoon.

Local hammock rating: not as comfy as Pine Ridge Cabins.

Chronology of Day: Farewells to host families at the community center at 8:30, onto the bus close to 9 and down the Hummingbird Highway towards the beach. Matt gave us background on Armenia’s founding. Bus chatter centered on home stay adventures. Aretha’s drums, Glenda’s johnnycake snack for the road, postcards and the ubiquitous Snickers bar at the gas station, scenes of farmers, small children, jungle, bridge repair, yellow butterflies. I was writing notes for a new musical, a song for Thalya’s dogs. We met Matthew and Michelle and picked up more fresh groceries. I’m glad I didn’t walk 21 miles from Monkey Bay to St. Margaret’s. I’m not sure I’m glad I ate the conch soup for lunch. I regret eating something, but I’m not sure what it was, a critical dilemma for avoiding eating more of whatever it was.

Matthew’s PowerPoint on climate change was helpful but hard to hear. I keep thinking about how to translate this experience for students and get the kids here. I can’t help making lots of connections between the effect of climate change on Belize and on the Chesapeake Bay communities.

The cabins are comfortable and the wind is cooling. Someone is raking the sand- I will try not to get a coconut in my head. The red mosquito and bug bites are less visible under sunburn. Sleep seems like a good idea. -- Elizabeth Benefiel

No comments: