Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tobacco Caye and Beyond

Sunday June 29, 2008

On Saturday night the ocean waves were delightful as I lay on the bottom bunk of my cabin at Tobacco Caye. The cabin was right near the water so the sand was intense. As morning approached, I could hear the wind pick up and the rain begin to fall. I wondered if this would be a tropical downpour which would last all day.

As 7:30 a.m. approached, I could hear the voices of those who were getting ready for a snorkeling trip. Ross has said that the fish would be more active in the early morning. I envied their spirit and wished I wasn’t so lazy.

Jeanette and I joined Alecia on the bench overlooking the water. Harrison came with his cup of coffee. How special to be in paradise with special new people. I would equate the experience to being with a group who share such a unique experience and reveal themselves to each other. We may never be together again but at the time, there was no one closer.

The people in our group easily involve themselves in activities and approach everything with good humor. I am writing this at the beach because Matt’s flexibility has allowed me to avoid sea sickness. He also assured me this morning that the ride would be calm. How thoughtful of him to validate rather than criticize my fears and to leave me with my self esteem.

These kinds of acts of understanding are what made this trip so special.

We took the boat to the Smithsonian station, had a picnic at the beach and went snorkeling again.

Before dinner, we talked about how St. John’s would get the program going and we have a great deal of work to do.

Thank you to everyone for a great trip!


Jean Smedira

No comments: